"I've never had five winners in a season before, let alone a week," smiled Broomfield trainer Teresa Clark after saddling a Holnicote double to make it five winners from five runners in the last seven days. She led off with HMS Intrepid, who led from the penultimate in the Maiden after a patient ride from Robert Hawker. "This horse means a lot to us, as he was initially owned by my partner Jeremy Cossey's late grandfather, Gordon Cossey, and is now owned by his uncle, Duncan Cossey, who had the faith to leave him with us," said Teresa.
Bathwick Scanno and Will Biddick regained the lead in the Confined after Jepeck led over the last. Bathwick Scanno brought up Will's half-century six days earlier, but Teresa made the decision to run him again when "he ran away with me on the Quantocks on Thursday."
Will and Robert also completed doubles on the card. Will employed new tactics on Benedictus, who led throughout the Mixed Open. "We felt he was caught out in the Lady Dudley Cup when What A Laugh and Stone sprinted clear, so we've made the running to ensure a true gallop," explained trainer Jack Barber, now on the 43-winner mark for the season. Robert doubled up aboard Carlos Gardel, who landed the Intermediate to reward a near nine-hour round trip by Yorkshire owner-trainers Alison Christmas and John Kilner, who had just celebrated his 60th birthday.
National Novice Champion-elect Harry Cobden, 16, maintained his two-winner lead in the standings when Cock Of The Rock quickened past The Magherally Man in the Novice Riders race. Cock Of The Rock has now won his last five races to join six other horses at the head of the 2015 National Leading Horse Award table and must have every chance of taking the prestigious title, with five weeks of the season remaining.
Carrickmines went into honourable retirement after taking the Hunt race. The winner of 11 races in total, George and Debbie Beilby's 13-year-old led throughout under Nick Lawton and was never threatened by 2014 winner Took My Eye.
On Your Max and Robbie Henderson followed up their 2014 Holnicote Maiden race success by taking the Restricted. Robert Hawker set a pedestrian gallop aboard outsider-of-three Gingers Reflection, but On Your Max had more speed than Roy's Gallery when the race developed into a sprint.
Armagnac Rebel and Cathryn MacFarlane were awarded the Charity Flat race after first-past-the-post Portacarron lost his weightcloth during the contest and was disqualified when jockey, Samantha Telling, failed to draw the correct weight.
Hunts Members (2 ran)
1. Carrickmines (IRE) (N Lawton, 4-5F); 2. Took My Eye (IRE) (S Ellicott, evens). 6min 43s. 8l. (Debbie Beilby)
Open Maiden (8 ran)
1. HMS Intrepid (Robert Hawker, 10-1); 2. State Department (S Kirwan, 3-1); 3. Ninogaro (FR) (S Houlihan, 20-1). 6min 48s. 1l, 6l. (Teresa Clark)
PPORA Club Members (Novice Riders) (7 ran)
1. Cock Of The Rock (H Cobden, 4-6F); 2. The Magherally Man (IRE) (Miss L Mahon, 7-2); 3. Falcon Island (E Doggrell, 33-1).
Mixed Open (5 ran)
1. Benedictus (IRE) (W Biddick, 1-4F); 2. Level Spirit (IRE) (R Henderson, 5-2); 3. King's Bench (IRE). 6min 28s. 3l, 8l. (Jack Barber)
Confined (5 ran)
1. Bathwick Scanno (IRE) (W Biddick, 7-4); 2. Jepeck (IRE) (Jamie Thomas, 4-5F); 3. Talab (N Lawton, 16-1). 6min 27s. 1½l , 10l. (Teresa Clark)
Restricted (3 ran)
1. On Your Max (R Henderson, 1-2F); 2. Roy's Gallery (IRE) (M Legg, 7-4); 3. Gingers Relection (Robert Hawker, 4-1). 7min 05s. 2l, 10l. (Ed Walker)
Intermediate (3 ran)
1. Carlos Gardel (Robert Hawker, 7-2); 2. Mullins Mill (IRE) (D Andrews, 5-1); 3. Swingbridge (IRE) (C Dando, 1-3F). 6min 53s. 4l, 2l. (Alison Christmas)